I had surgery on my elbow in June, and took two months off to give my muscles and ulnar nerve a chance to heal. No crafting for two months!!! I almost didn’t survive! By the last week of August, I felt I was up to stitching again, and I decided to tackle a new project. A major challenge. For real. This is the biggest cross stitching project I have ever worked on.
I decided to create a pattern for my favorite painting. (I apologize for the underwhelming photo; I took it myself when I was visiting a friend in NYC a few years ago. Seeing this painting in person left me rather verklempt. I’m not exactly sure why, but I could do little more than sit and stare at it with tears in my eyes. It was a bit embarrassing. I swear, ya can’t take me anywhere!)
Anyhow, I did manage to create a pattern I was satisfied with. I’m using fabric that is 25 stitches per inch and the finished stitched image will measure 18 inches wide by 14.5 inches high. I will use 169 different colors to complete 162,000 stitches. Just for a comparison, Stitchin’ Richard had 89 colors and 26,100 stitches.
My working pattern covers 24 pages. This past weekend, I finished a 4th page. That gives me nearly 32,000 stitches done. (That is more work done in the past 3 months than it took me over 3 years to do on Stitchin’ Richard!!!)
I’ve been taking pictures of my progress at the end of each stitching day. I’m hoping to post a slideshow each time I finish a page. I’ll post the first one in a few days – after I relearn how to do the slideshow! 😀